Author: Tom Doyle
Publisher: Cushing Systems Inc.
Date Published: May 2, 2022
Mobile Data software for Public Safety has been around for 40 years. The evolution of wireless networks from slow kilobit per second speeds to fast megabit per second speeds has vastly increased the applications and functionality that can now be performed in a vehicle. Video streaming and picture uploads are now standard functionality.
Cushing’s mobile product has evolved over the years but we’ve recently upgraded our PSIMS Anywhere product to include an improved Fire and ENMS module. First responders have known for years that the requirements for Fire/EMS functionality differs from Law Enforcement functionality. See below for additional information about this updated module.
12/16/2021 Added SignalR updating of call information. Added color to history tab to show if there is address history. Added color to Active Calls (My agency tab) to show when a call is active. Updated text in Active, History, My Agency, and Other Agencies tabs to be more readable. Added direction text to Active Call, if available.
12/13/2021 Fixed narrative to show in descending order. Added enter button to quick narrative (remarks) input box. Updated look of active incident. Updated location history tab.
The Fire/EMS Module allows Fire and EMS Units to have access to a mobile, easy to use interface while responding in the rig. To access this module:
- If the Fire/EMS Personnel is signed it as a unit (selecting the
Log Into Unitcheckbox and entering Unit Number), they will be directed to the module after login.
- If the Fire/EMS Personnel is not signed in as a unit, the module is accessible by an icon on the home screen of PSA.
The Fire/EMS Module is a single page application with large touch enabled buttons to allow for ease of use while inside the rig.
The top row of the module consists of:
- Mapping: The mapping button opens a modal containing a map with the location of the active incident. (Note: If there is no active incident, there will be no map and the ‘No Active Incident’ will be displayed)
- Hazmat: The hazmat button opens up WebWISER - Substance List (nih.gov) to allow the user to search the NIH site for hazmat information.
- Logout: The logout button will log out the current user and redirect to the PSA Login Page.
- Status: The status bar contains the units current status and a drop down with a list of status’, allowing the user to change status on the fly.
- Time: A running clock with the system time.
The next row consists of the following buttons:
- Responding Status Button: This button changes the unit’s status to the default Responding status.
- On Scene Status Button: This button changes the unit’s status to the default On Scene status.
- Service/Available Status Button: This button changes the unit’s status to default Available status.
- New Call Button: This button opens a modal allowing the user to enter a new call from the module.
- Staging Status Button: This button changes the unit’s status to Staging.
- Enroute-To Status Button: Opens a modal with a list of destinations from the PSA location list, the address of the active call, and a selection to add a custom destination.
If the user selects ‘Other Location’, a modal will open with a text box to enter the name of the custom location.
The next part of the application below the status buttons are two sections containing call information. On the left side of the screen are tabs:
- Active Call: This tab shows the most recent active call for the signed-in unit in the top area, the call narrative in the middle area, and a text box to submit remarks to the narrative at the bottom of this area.
- History: This tab shows the history for the location of the active call. It contains the date/time of the call, the call number, the UCR Description, and the responding/attending unit(s).
On the right side of the screen are tabs:
- My Agency: This shows calls for the logged-in user agency. Calls that are not assigned to the current user will have an
Assign Mebutton, allowing the user to self-assign to the call.
- Other Agencies: This shows calls for all agencies. Defaults to showing all active calls. Dropdown with agency list allows the user to select an agency to view active calls.
If your department would like additional information about this module or how Cushing Systems’ PSIMS Product can meet your needs, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Simply fill out the contact form on our webpage or call Tom Doyle directly at 415-738-6895.